A hearty meal packed with fibre. Serves 4
- 2 cups (500ml) pearl barley
- 6 medium PnP beetroots, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5ml) lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) PnP mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. (5ml) Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (60ml) PnP canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- Milled pepper
- ½ PnP roast chicken, shredded
- 200g PnP green beans, trimmed and blanched
- Place barley in a large pot and cover with 4 cups (1L) water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- Rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Boil beetroots in lightly salted water until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Peel and slice into eighths.
- Whisk lemon juice, zest, mayo, mustard and oil in a medium bowl until emulsified.
- Add parsley and season with pepper.
- Toss together barley, chicken, green beans and dressing, top with beetroot, and serve.
Pick n Pay is committed to promoting health and wellbeing among South Africans, and employs the services of a registered dietitian to provide food and nutrition-related advice to the public. For all your nutrition and health-related queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 11 22 88.