- 1 large (1 kg) butternut, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 7 cups (1,75 litres) boiling water
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place veggies, apple and spices in a large pot with the water.
- Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Remove from the heat, blend mixture until smooth or mash with a potato masher.
- Return mixture to the pot and add milk, lemon juice and pepper.
Heat through and serve warm.
The HSFSA plays a leading role in the fight against preventable heart disease and stroke, with the aim of seeing fewer people in SA suffer premature deaths and disabilities, and to reduce the cardiovascular disease (CVD) burden in SA and ultimately on the SA health care system. Their mission is to empower South Africans to adopt healthy lifestyles, make healthy choices easier, seek appropriate care and encourage prevention