By Noy Pullen (Agents For Change)
- Olive oil, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- A handful sunflower, pumpkin and/or sesame seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- A dash cinnamon
- ½ cumin powder
- ½ fennel seeds
- Mug of Kitchari, millet or quinoa
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- Chopped greens e.g. celery, Swiss chard, chopped beetroot leaves
- Chopped parsley
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 beetroot, diced,
- A slice of diced raw pawpaw to add interesting flavour and texture
- Toss seeds and spices in oil for about 30 seconds till seeds begin to ‘pop’.
- Add sweet potatoes and sauté in the spice mixture.
- Add vegetables and simmer in half a cup of water till done. Remove from the stove.
- Salt to taste.
- Add diced pawpaw and stir into the mixture immediately before serving.
- Serve this beautiful jewel-like curry in a bowl over prepared Kitchari millet or quinoa.