Makes 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 – 35 minutes
- 400g SPAR *Ostrich Prime Steaks/SPAR Ostrich Strips can also be used (which will then not need to be sliced in step 9)
- 2 Tbs SPAR Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs Vital Soy sauce (or any other low sodium alternative)
- 1 Tbs Raw Honey
- 1 Tbs SPAR Freshline Ginger, grated
- 1 Tbs SPAR Apple Cider Vinegar/Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Ina Paarman Garlic & Herb Spices
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ SPAR Freshline Onion, diced
- 2 SPAR Freshline Garlic Cloves, minced
- ¼ punnet (65-70g) SPAR Freshline Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ SPAR Freshline Yellow Pepper, diced
- ½ SPAR Freshline Red Pepper, diced
- 6 SPAR Freshline Spring Onions, chopped (and extra for garnish)
- 2 cups SPAR Freshline Broccoli, cut into smaller florets
- 2 handfuls of SPAR Freshline Baby Spinach
- 50g *cashew nuts (can be roasted but limit the addition of salt)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- For the marinade: Mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, ginger, apple cider vinegar/lemon juice and spices in a small bowl.
- Put the *Ostrich steaks in the marinade. Cover completely with the marinade and marinade for 20 min or longer.
- Meanwhile, add the quinoa and water to a medium sized pot. Heat on high until it reaches a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce to simmer for 12-15 minutes. Once all liquid is absorbed, remove the cooked quinoa from heat, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While waiting for the meat to marinade and the quinoa to cook, steam broccoli until bright green (5 min). Do not overcook as this reduces the nutritional value
- Once the steaks have finished marinading, heat a wok or large frying pan. Put the steaks in the hot pan and quickly cook on both sides till brown but not cooked through (2 minutes per side). Now add a little of the marinade to the meat in the pan, cover with a lid and cook for 5 min. Remove the steaks from the pan and let rest on a plate while leaving the rest of the juices from the steaks in the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan with meat juices in. Stir-fry till just brown and then add the mushrooms. Stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes then add the peppers and stir-fry till browned. Top with the spring onions. Little bit of water can be added to the pan if the vegetables start to burn.
- Next add the steamed broccoli florets and cook till broccoli IS crisped (1-2 minutes).
- Meanwhile, slice the steak into thin strips and add to the stir-fried vegetables together with any juices that is left on the plate that it rested in and was sliced in.
- Add the baby spinach and the remaining marinade and put the lid on for 2-3 minutes so the dish is heated through, but the meat is not over-cooked. Remove from the heat
- Divide the quinoa in 4 serving bowls and top with the stir-fry mixture.
- Lastly garnish with the spring onions and the *cashew nuts.
- Flavour with salt and pepper and serve.
*Chicken breast can also be used as an alternative to the ostrich meat. The chicken breasts should be sliced into strips at the beginning before marinading and extra lemon juice can be added to the marinade
*Allergic to nuts, replace the cashew nuts with sesame seeds.