By Noy Pullen (Agents For Change)
Google for variations depending on your personal health requirements.
- 1 ½ cups rice, soaked and drained
- 1 cup split yellow Moong Dhal, soaked and drained
- 1 tsp sea salt (I do not add this)
- ½ tsp turmeric, fresh or powder
- 2 tsp ghee, olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or ½ tsp powder
- 1 ½ litres of water
- Add rice, Moong Dhal, salt and turmeric to 1 litre boiling water.
- Boil till half done.
- Drain and remove from pot.
- Cool and store in fridge until needed.
To continue preparing the daily dish
- Heat the oil and stir in the cumin for 30 seconds.
- Return 1 cup rice mixture (Kitchari) per person to the pot and stir well.
- Add ½ cup water and cook on a low heat till done. Add more water if necessary. It should remain moist.
- Serve with various options:
- Coconut oil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, lemon and freshly grated ginger
- Greek yoghurt and zucchini
- Mixed diced cooked or raw vegetable (depending on your eating plan) and spices of your choice
- A sprinkling of mixed seeds together with cumin powder