By Noy Pullen (Agents For Change)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- A dash of olive oil or coconut oil
- 3g ground or 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 3g ground cumin or 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3g powdered or 1 teaspoon turmeric
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 3g cinnamon
- 3g powdered or 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 15ml chopped coriander leaves
- 1kg butternut, skinned pipped and cubed
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled cored and diced
- 1 litre chicken/vegetable stock
- 125ml plain yoghurt to garnish bowls
- Snipped chives for garnish
- Sauté onion, stir in spices and coriander for a minute to enhance the flavour.
- Add butternut, apple and cinnamon with 250ml stock and allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Add remaining stock and simmer until cooked – about 30 minutes.
- Add milk or almond milk if you want it thinner.
- Season with salt, if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls add yoghurt and garnish.