Makes 6 servings
Preparation time: 10 – 15minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 SPAR Freshline onion, medium, chopped
- 1 SPAR Freshline jalapeño chilli pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 SPAR Freshline red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 SPAR Freshline garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs chilli flakes (medium spicy) (adjust to your sensitivity to spicy foods)
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- 3 cups prepared Ina Paarman Chicken Stock (divided) (1 tsp powder to 1 cup boiling water)
- 3 cups white kidney beans (SPAR canned Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed)
- 600g SPAR Select Chicken Thighs – remove skin before cooking (The bones can be removed during the cooking process when shredding the chicken)
- 1 cup chopped SPAR Freshline broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup SPAR Freshline coriander (chopped)
- Additional water
- 1 SPAR Freshline lime, sliced in wedges
- Heat oil in a large pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeño and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic, cumin, chilli flakes and salt and cook for another minute until fragrant. If it starts to turn brown or burn, add a little water.
- While vegetables are cooking, add a third of the stock and half of the beans to a food processor, or blend using a hand blender to puree the beans.
- Add the remaining stock and pureed beans to the pot and stir to combine. Place the chicken pieces in the pot, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook at a gentle boil for 20 – 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the cooked chicken thighs from the pot and carefully shred the chicken with two forks or chop it finely. Return the chicken and any juices back to the pot with the remaining beans, broccoli, and coriander.
- Stir to combine and season with additional salt if needed.
- Allow soup to cook for an additional 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add additional water if needed.
- Divide the soup into bowls and serve with a lime wedge.
- Leftovers – Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- No chicken thighs – Use chicken breasts instead.
- Vegetarian – Omit the chicken and use extra beans (this will increase the carbohydrate).
- 1 serving is equal to approximately one cup of chilli soup.